What You Should Know:
– SCAN Health Plan, a Medicare Advantage insurer known for its expertise in keeping older adults healthy and independent is launching SCAN Affirm partnered with Included LGBTQ+ Health (HMO), a first-of-its-kind Medicare Advantage plan developed exclusively for LGBTQ+ older adults, in collaboration with Included Health, the only integrated virtual care and navigation platform.
– SCAN Health Plan will offer the SCAN Affirm plan to members in California’s Los Angeles and Riverside Counties. Enrollment in SCAN Affirm for the calendar year 2023 begins on October 15, 2022.
Medicare Advantage Plan for LGBTQ+ Older Adults
LGBTQ+ adults 65+ can currently sign up in Southern California beginning Oct. 15. There is a growing number of LGBTQ+ adults over age 50, with the number expected to reach 7 million by 2030. This partnership hopes to reduce historic health disparities. Through Included Health’s Communities program, which provides healthcare navigation with an LGBTQ+-led team, and SCAN Affirm, LGBTQ+ seniors will receive lower co-pays on specialty tier drugs (e.g., HIV treatments and hormone replacement therapy), access to clinically competent and affirming providers, and virtual behavioral healthcare services, in addition to other benefits.
SCAN Affirm member benefits include:
– Care navigation services by Included Health, including support for a range of healthcare and non-healthcare needs, peer groups, community resources and advocacy;
– Lower co-pays on specialty tier drugs including HIV treatments and gender affirming hormone treatment; and
– Access to Included Health’s dedicated team, which is led by LGBTQ+ individuals, and which supports members and their loved ones in accessing clinically excellent, affirming care, and understanding their medical benefits.
Additional benefits designed to support the specific needs of LGBTQ+ seniors include:
– Virtual behavioral healthcare delivered by Included Health’s diverse provider group as well as on-demand virtual visits for everyday and urgent care needs;
– Companion care services designed to address isolation and exclusion; and
– Legal services reimbursement (e.g., durable power of attorney, living will, etc.).
“A lot of thought and care went into designing the SCAN Affirm product with the goal to provide people in the LGBTQ+ community with a non-discriminatory, quality healthcare experience,” said Jill Selby, senior vice president of product development, marketing, and market expansion for SCAN. “By combining our expertise in caring for older adults with Included Health’s expertise in serving the LGBTQ+ population, we’re aiming to create a dignified health journey that goes way beyond just benefits. SCAN Affirm offers this growing community not only quality healthcare, but support in other areas of life that are largely unaddressed.”